Monday, May 5, 2014

Week 5 - Understanding Weight and Physicality

This week marked the start of another 3 weeks of glorious head aches as we put paper to mouse (so to speak) and actually block out our dog walks in Maya. Detailed planning definitely makes things easier, as I was merely copying/translating the poses on paper to 3D and for the most part, it worked out alright. I followed the video reference quite closely, so the timing is pretty solid I think, though Mat says there's quite a few spacing issues with the legs. It's amazing how mentors can look over your work a couple of times and pin point/predict problems you have or are going to have. True mastery, or close to it!

Didn't end up sketching many poses this week (no time), but according to mentor the ones I did pick turned out pretty well. Here they are below. (Bottom one is a combination of 2 of the sketched poses).



Had a bit of fun with the new Squirrel character. Little guy is so adorable, it's easy to make him look appealing.

Shake Shake Shake
Here's the results of the key poses and breakdowns blocked out:



dog walk blocking from Aaron Skinner on Vimeo.

I took a layered approach to blocking it, which is critical, had I tried to move everything at once I'd fail fast. I started with putting the hind legs into position for the key poses, then did the same for the front legs. Then I repeated that for the breakdowns. Only then did I start thinking about the rotations of the chest and hip, followed by small details in the feet and leg positions. Finally I animated the shoulders and added a teensy bit of head and neck overlap, which isn't noticeable enough.

This week I'll be converting to splines, tweaking existing poses based on feedback and adding more poses in between THOSE POSES and so on until the thing looks decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment